She was the daughter of Alfred Wilkinson.
in 1905 Clara Wilkinson lived at 9 Taylor's Buildings, Newsome, Yorkshire.
She married Fred Dearnley, son of Ben Dearnley and Susannah Ford, on 24 April 1905 at Parish Church, Lockwood, Huddersfield, Yorkshire,
Fred Dearnley age:25 B.
Clara Wilkinson age:25 S.
Witnesses: Amy Wilkinson & Alfred Wilkinson.
Alfred Wilkinson was a Labourer.
Alfred Wilkinson was born circa 1852.
Child of Alfred Wilkinson
- Clara Wilkinson+ b. 1880
She was the daughter of Fred Dearnley and Clara Wilkinson.
He was the son of Robert Swindlehurst.
Henry Swindlehurst married Emma Johnson in 1875 at Huddersfield, Yorkshire,
Huddersfield 9a 535
in 1902 Henry Swindlehurst lived at New Mill, Yorkshire.
in 1902 Henry Swindlehurst was a Woollen Spinner.
He married Anne Elizabeth Dearnley, daughter of William Henry Sandford and Hannah Dearnley, on 20 September 1902 at St. Mary's, Honley, Huddersfield, Yorkshire,
Henry Swindlehurst age: 48 Widower father: Robert Swindlehurst (deceased)
Annie Elizabeth Dearnley age: 31 Spinster father: -----
Witnesses: Charles Ernest Mitchell & William Ritchie.
She married Henry Swindlehurst, son of Robert Swindlehurst, in 1875 at Huddersfield, Yorkshire,
Huddersfield 9a 535
Emma Johnson died in 1895 at Huddersfield, Yorkshire,
Huddersfield 9a 205
Robert Swindlehurst was a Blacksmith.
Robert Swindlehurst was born circa 1826.
He died before 1902.
Child of Robert Swindlehurst
- Henry Swindlehurst+ b. 1852
He was the son of Henry Swindlehurst and Emma Johnson.
He was the son of Jonathan Woodcock and Sarah (?).
Allen Woodcock married Sarah Ann Dearnley, daughter of William Dearnley and Mary Roberts, on 25 November 1850 at All Hallows, Kirkburton, Yorkshire,
Allen Woodcock 24 Bachelor, Spinner res: Jackson Bridge fa: Jonathan Woodcock, Shoemaker
Sarah Roberts 21 Spinster, --- res: Townend in Wooldale fa: ---, ---
Both made their mark
Witnesses: Matthew Haigh & William Panhin(?)
1. Banns for Allen Woodcock and Sarah Dearnley June 1849 Kirkburton (but no record of an 1849 marriage) (Ancestry).
2. Banns for Allen Woodcock and Sarah Roberts Oct/Nov 1850 Kirkburton (Ancestry).
3. Marriage for Allen Woodcock and Sarah Roberts of Town End, aged 21, no father given, 25 Nov 1850 Kirkburton (Ancestry).
4. Marriage record for Allen Woodcock and Sarah Dearnley 1870, registered Huddersfield (freebmd). Details give Sarah's father as William Dearnley woollen weaver, deceased, and list Allen as a bachelor.
- Janet Davies
Ian Goddard notes:
The fact that Allen is described as a bachelor at the later marriage suggests that the parties believed the 1st marriage to have been invalid & the 2nd marriage would then have been undertaken to regularise things. This raises a further question: why was the first marriage invalid? The answer to this must lie in the discrepancy between the information given at the two marriages, the earlier being wrong and the later right; her use of the name Roberts was the problem.
But the 2 sets of banns in 1849 & 1850 seem to suggest that the information on the earlier marriage was a deliberate choice. I can think of a few possible motives for this.
- In the 1841 census Sarah is in her grandfather's household; by the time of her marriage she had been brought up by him for nearly a decade if not more and chose to treat him as her father in recognition of this.
- There was some doubt as to the validity of her parent's marriage. It seems unlikely that if this was unresolved at the time of the first marriage then a further 20 years would have clarified it so I tend to discount this.
- She wished to disown William. This might point to him having abandoned his family.
We don't know what had happened to William between the birth of Sarah & the 1841 census.
in 1870 Allen Woodcock lived at New Mill, Yorkshire.
in 1870 Allen Woodcock was a Woollen Spinner.
He married Sarah Ann Dearnley, daughter of William Dearnley and Mary Roberts, on 17 August 1870 at Register Office, Huddersfield, Yorkshire,
Allen Woodcock 45 Bachelor, Woollen Spinner res: New Mill fa: Jonathan Woodcock, Shoe Maker
Sarah Dearnley 41 Spinster, --- res: New Mill fa: William Dearnley (deceased), Woollen Weaver
Married in the Register Office by Licence
Allen signed & Sarah made her mark
Witnesses: Thomas Batley & Alfred Ernest Wades
see notes for 1850 marriage.